Sunday, September 13, 2009

Personal statement

Random acts of kindness make the world go round.” – Anonymous

I chanced upon this meaningful quote while I was watching the movie “Evan Almighty”. It taught me a valuable lesson which I thought that everyone should learn. I feel that the world is in a devastated state now. With all the wars and natural disasters happening, it’s really hard to find peace that once settled on this planet.

Though I have never been interested in politics, humane issues have always bothered and appalled me. I most certainly cannot do anything to solve issues like such, but I definitely can do something to make the world a better one. Like the quote above, random acts of kindness make the world go round.

Since then, I have made the quote my personal motto. During my term of studies in the National University of Singapore, I joined the NUS Students Science Club as a management committee member, taking the role of Science Volunteer Corps Director. I shared my motto with the committee and we came to a consensus that it was an appropriate motto for our committee. Hence I planned events with that motto in mind and strove to help the adopted beneficiaries in whatever ways we could. Besides helping the needy like the elderly, the physically disabled and children, I also placed focus on animals.

a picture of the "ark" my committee member for an event.
A Random Kindness.

There are certainly many acts of kindness that we can perform to different groups of individuals, and my aim in life is to help those in need while I can.

Studying Biology will allow me to help the nature and animals, and volunteering as a curriculum allows me to help people in need.

Quoted from the late Hans Christian Anderson, “Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.” I believe that living for oneself is not enough. To me, the sunshine that gives me happiness would probably be derived from the joy of helping. The freedom to be able to cast aside all prejudices and discrimination and lend a helping hand with no lines drawn will give me the strength to achieve my aim.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I like that you picked out one trait to talk about, and build your personal history around it. I think it gives your essay focus and is easier to read than the usual "list and elaborate" style.

    Nice quote and linking also, and fits with the tone of your essay.

    Organisation of paragraphs could be a bit better though - I think paras 4 and 5 are a bit short/disjointed.

    Also, was there really once peace on this planet? That's up for debate and deserves some elaboration. Don't think it works well standing on its own.

    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi audrey,

    Interesting biodata which is written quite differently with a few nice quotes. However I felt it was more like a essay about your thoughts and feelings rather than an informative biodata which tells us more about you. I don't know if this is the right format but maybe Miss lim can clarify.

    But I must say that you have really incorporated your motto in the things you do. Its good that you and your science club have help many adopted charities and hope that you will continue to do so.

    Have a great week ahead!

    Regards
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete